Friday, September 10, 2010

Alumna Profile: Amanda L. ('09) in Arizona


I graduated from UE last December and was hired by the Grand Canyon National Park for a 6-month Visitor Use Assistant position in March. I was excited to have the opportunity to work for the National Park Service and in the middle of May I moved to the tiny town of Williams, AZ where Grand Canyon had stationed me at the local visitor center. I honestly love this job and look forward to going to work every day, which was something I never expected. I get to spend my days at the Williams and Forest Service Visitor Center telling people about how awesome the Grand Canyon and Kaibab National Forest are, as well as the funny little quirks that make Williams one of America’s great small towns. Plus I’ve had the opportunity to experience all the Canyon area has to offer, like helicopter tours, cavern tours, trips to Sedona, and climbing around the ruins at Wupatki National Monument, all to help me be better at telling visitors what there is in the region! Working for the National Park Service is a great first job.

The visitor center I work for also has a small exhibit room that I have been able to help improve. We recently brought the Junior Ranger Program booklets down to our center to help prepare kids and get them excited for their trip to the Grand Canyon. I have really enjoyed getting to meet people from all over the world and talk about their vacations, their impressions of the Canyon and about life in general. I would certainly recommend any archaeology major to consider the National Park Service when starting their job search. They won’t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment