Friday, August 13, 2010

Alumna Profile: Lisa D. ('08) at Illinois State U.

After graduating from UE in 2008, I was admitted into the MA program in Historical Archaeology at Illinois State University. In addition to taking graduate classes, I held a graduate assistantship, which is a great way to earn some cash, get to know the professors, and get some experience within the archaeology world. During the summer of 2009, I participated in a graduate field school in western Tennessee, where I was able to work with the Cherokee (I am on the left in this photo, which was taken at the field school).


This past summer, I worked in Cape Krusenstern, Alaska as a student research aide for the University of Washington. I learned right off the bat that there are plenty of jobs out there if you are willing to work hard and you don’t care where you live. Also, it doesn’t hurt to have some contacts. Now I am finishing writing my thesis as well as trying to find a part-time job for the time being. I hope to graduate in December 2010 and find a full-time job with a museum or the National Park Service in archaeological interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment