Monday, April 15, 2013

2012 Graduate Michael K. Talks about Recent Experiences and Future Plans


Graduation! It happened. Then, post graduate life quickly became a reality. Fortunately for me, I had a plan. I returned home for a short respite before venturing to Israel with the Jezreel Expedition. Participation in this program provided me invaluable archaeological experience as we surveyed the area surrounding Tel Jezreel to prepare for future fieldwork. We also had an opportunity to explore other sites, excavate at Megiddo, and spend time with friends — new and old. It was a truly rewarding experience.


Mike at the Amman Citadel in Jordan after finishing the 2012 season at Jezreel.
After returning home, I continued applying for jobs and was fortunate to be offered a Team Member position at Target. My time at Target has been a worthwhile experience, and I have learned a great deal about the retail industry through my duties on the Sales Floor and Presentation Team. Most of all, I have developed my abilities to communicate effectively with other members of the team and with guests.


In my spare time, I prepared for my ultimate goal: graduate school. I continued studying Greek, Latin, and French in order to hone my language abilities. A solid understanding of these languages will be beneficial in graduate school and future research. The faculty at UE has even continued to support me since graduating, and I have spoken with them on multiple occasions and sought their advice on my future endeavors. When it came time to apply to graduate school, I enacted my plan and attacked my applications with great results. I recently accepted an offer from the University of Arizona and will begin work on my M.A. in Classics with an emphasis in Classical Archaeology this fall. I am very excited to begin the next step in my academic career.

If I can offer any advice to current and future students it would be this: whatever you do or wherever you go, continue to work hard and make the most of every opportunity. People will recognize you for your efforts and it will make you a better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment